I’m not a huge sports fan, but I do like to watch the "big" games: the World Series, the World Cup, and, of course, the Super Bowl.
And while I'm able to follow most of the action on the gridiron, the part I most look forward to is the action off the field -- namely, the commercials.
Every year, our expectations for Super Bowl ads gets bigger and bigger. With an average cost of $3.5 million for a 30-second spot, the ads are not cheap, and some are more successful than others. Here’s a list of my favorites from Super Bowl XLVI:
10. Doritos: Man’s Best Friend. First rule of Super Bowl commercials: You can’t go wrong with dogs, especially ones who get one up on humans.
9. Honda CRV: Matthew’s Day Off. “Broderick. Broderick.”
8. Acura: Transactions. “I’ll throw in the Soup Nazi… I’ll recap last week’s episode of Jersey Gangland for you with sock puppets… I’ll give you access to my personal network of Manhattan ziplines.” Very funny.
7: Skechers: Go Run, Mr. Quiggly. A French bulldog moonwalks across the finish line to Tone Loc’s “Wild Thing.” Again, you can’t go wrong with dogs.
6. Fiat: The Fiat 500 Abarth. Not your typical “look at the hot woman” ad.
5. Volkswagen: The Dog Strikes Back. We’ve all felt like that dog at some point.
4. Dannon Oikos: The Tease. Greek yogurt more delicious than John Stamos? I don’t know about that, but it was amusing.
3. Chrysler: Halftime in America. I’m a sucker for Clint Eastwood, patriotic images and underdogs. Almost makes me want to go out and buy a Chrysler.
2. M&M’s: It’s That Kind of Party. Naked M&M singing “I’m sexy and I know it.” This definitely got the biggest laugh at the party.
1. Bud Light, Rescue Dog. “Here, Weego!” As a mom of a rescue dog, this ad really touches me and makes me want to support Budweiser. There are so many great Weegos out there. We should all be lucky enough to find our Weego!
Honorable mention: H&M: David Beckham Bodywear. Just because.
What did you think of this year’s ads? Which were your favorite?