Area(s) of expertise: Agriculture, Food, and the Environment
Summary of expertise:
- Two graduate degrees in agriculture, food, rural development, and environmental sustainability from the leading graduate programs in these fields.
- Five years of experience in developing both non-profit agricultural programs and corporate sustainability initiatives, including three years assessing and reporting on these programs to former President Bill Clinton.
- Three years at the US State Department working closely with visiting foreign dignitaries around issues of food policy, environmental sustainability, and global trade.
- Nine years of writing experience focusing on food, the environment, and travel.
Blog/Web site: www.viagusta.com
At Clinton Global Initiative, authored multiple reports for member and internal use on cross-sector sustainability initiatives. Research on initiatives in Haiti resulted in publication of special edition of Innovations journal (MIT Press, see publications list).
- Guest editor, Build Back Better: Strategies for Societal Renewal in Haiti, special edition of Innovations journal (Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press), September, 2010.
- “Apple Computer and Environmental Activism,” case study, in IDEAS Journal: International Development, Environment, and Sustainability 4 (Medford, Mass.: Center for International Environment and Resource Policy, The Fletcher School), March 2008.
- “Assessing Sustainability within Development,” unpublished and available on request; favorably peer-reviewed at Journal of Public and International Affairs.
- “Convention on Genetically Modified Organisms: Harmonizing Regulations and Dismantling Trade Barriers,” with Sarah Borron, in Susskind, LE and WR Moomaw, Eds., Papers on International Environmental Negotiation, Vol. XVI (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard Program on Negotiation, 2007).
- “Helping Farmers in Nepal,” in Newsletter for South-South Cooperation of UNDP, Oct. 2006.
- “The Global Gourmet.” Weekly food column for iAgora.com webzine, 1999-2001.
More than 20 travel guides and numerous travel-related articles since 1996.
- Henry Russell Shaw Fellow at Harvard University, 1997
- Feinstein Famine Center grant recipient, 2006
- C.V. Starr scholar, 2008
Board member, Chefs Corps
Board member, Shawmut Education
Founder, FOOD graduate student group at tufts University
Prior media experience:
Frequently authored media quotes while at the Clinton Global Initiative for Bob Harrison, CEO, and former President Bill Clinton. Worked closely with APCO Worldwide and Strauss Radio to disseminate stories and clips on behalf of CGI.
Regular public speaking engagements, including:
- Commencement speaker at The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy
- Moderator and facilitator of regular meetings of Clinton Global Initiative "action network" sessions
- Guest lecturer at Harvard and Tufts Universities
Tufts University, Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, MALD
Fields of study: International Environment and Resource Policy, International Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
Tufts University, Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, MS
Agriculture, Food, and Environment program, specialization in International Environment and Trade
Harvard University, post-baccalaureate Shaw Fellow researching European food history
Harvard University, AB magna cum laude in Linguistics and Romance Languages and Literatures
No comments have been made.